Residential

Admiral’s Place – Old Naval Hospital Road

Client:
Hopefield Properties Ltd.
Service:
Architecture, Contract Administrator & Project Management
Cost:
Confidential
Current Stage:
Completed May 2005
Award:
Gibraltar Heritage Award

Situated inthe Old Naval Hospital, it is one of the greatest historic landmarks in Gibraltar, with a site plot area of 17500sqm. Built in the 1730s as aBritish Military Hospitalthe building underwentseveralreconstructions before beingconverted into the Military Married Quartersin the 1950’s. It was handed over to Her Majesty’s Government of Gibraltar in the 1980’s.

In September 1999 Orfila Architects was recruited by Hopefield Properties Ltd. to redevelop the site into a residential area.

Theprojectconsisted of a total of thirty-ninehouses, thirty-fourcolonial houses individually refurbished and five new built houses.

The design scheme was developed with sensitivity to the historic architectural and colonial features. The original roofs and facades were preserved to further enhance the beauty of the buildings.

Every single house presented itself with its own challengesowing to differentdesign layouts.Many period features were retained with additional improvements like wroughtiron balconies, spacious rooms with high ceilingsand cornices and fireplaces,requisites for a modern-day home.

The extensive hardlandscaping wasdrastically reduced to create individual gardens for each houseand toallowfor the development of spaciouscommunal green areas.

An outdoor swimming pool was built for the use of residentsand additional treeswere plantedallocating ideal areas of shade for sunbathing and leisure.

This beautiful development overlooking the impressive straits of Gibraltar has been designed with such sensitivity and consideration to the original magnificence of the buildings that it won a Gibraltar Heritage award.